SPOILER ALERT!

Insurgent (Divergent)

Insurgent - Veronica Roth

This has been by far the worst Second Book Syndrome case of the lot. I wouldn't say that I suffered, but it was a bit more laborious to get through. Where Divergent excelled building this mysterious world with many cracks and hidden things yet to be discovered, Insurgent was lackluster in adding concrete things or adding to the ideologies of the world at large.

Here there be spoilers...

I'm not incredibly demanding with YA, especially the "hypetrain" type, but the suddenness of Jeanine's death and a number of other things that were thrown into my lap, out of either convenience or to expedite another plot, did not sit well with me. It wasn't as clunky as some other YA second efforts, if anything it was too fast. Especially after so much dragging and groaning, and an intense makeup/breakup/makeup arc that was joined with the exact same description of muscles this, kiss my neck that.

This, however, is the only real disappointing chapter in this series. Veronica Roth has done well with this series, and I appreciate the effort.

If you find yourself suffering, just put it down and come back to it. I forced myself through it in one sitting and it reflects in this review.